Wednesday 20 March 2013

Potential Magazine Names


Music magazine names generally consist of one or two memorable words (notable examples include: Vibe, NME, Kerrang, Rolling Stone and Q). These names often have little meaning and are there simply to mark the brand and allow their audiences to find them easily in shopping locations. Due to my magazine being focused primarily on electronic dance music I selected eight powerful and unique words, which I believe capture both the spirit and passion of the music as well as sounding similar to song titles of the genre, to be my potential magazine names. These words are as follows:

1- Elixir
(Definition: A magical or medicinal potion)

2- Reflux
(Definition: The flowing back of a liquid)

3- Paragon
(Definition: A model of excellence or perfection of a kind)

4- Nemesis
(Definition: The inescapable or implacable agent of someone's or something's downfall)

5- Overture
(Definition:  An introduction to something more substantial)

6- Harbinger
(Definition: A forerunner or herald)

7- Ephemera
(Definition: Things lasting no more than a day)

8- Aether
(Definition: "pure, fresh air" or "clear sky", imagined in Greek mythology to be the pure essence where the gods lived and which they breathed)

To determine which of these titles I would use I held a survey asking people the question: ‘Which of these titles would you prefer to see on a magazine focusing primarily on electronic dance music?’ with a choice of the eight words I had selected. A total of fifty people answered this survey, the results are as follows:

Elixir =   8
Reflux =   1
Paragon =   5
Nemesis =   3
Overture =   6
Harbinger =   0
Ephemera =   15
Aether =   12

Because of this survey I decided to use Ephemera as my magazines’ title. I am happy with this choice because it signifies that although music is a wonderful thing, it is an experience shortly lasted; therefore my magazine can provide its users with the latest news, recent releases and hidden musical gems so as to keep the experience fresh and full of passion.

(screenshot of the survey)

No comments:

Post a Comment